ruffed grouse question

  • Robert Keiffer
    Message 1 of 1 , May 9, 2003
      Friday 9, 2003 I recently came across an old reprint article from Calif. Fish & Game, 64(2): 124-127. 1978
      It is titled "Status of the Oregon Ruffed Grouse in Northwestern California" by Dr. Charles F. Yocom. If you
      look at the attached map from the article is shows observation locations from 1954 through 1978. You will notice
      that some of the records are in the extreme southern end of Humboldt County very close to Mendocino County.
      Most locations appear to be in the Eel River drainage with one location (almost on the Mendocino line) at the
      headwaters of the Mattole River. It is possible that these observations were before the blowout of the 1964 flood,
      however I do not know the dates of the observations.

      Stan Harris's "Northwestern California Birds" states that 1800's records report ruffed grouse from heavy redwood
      forest, but goes on to say the modern records "are from deep, heavy forest cover and also more open riparian and
      mixed woodland, especially those with alders near hillside seeps".

      If anyone spends time or has contacts with landowners in these areas you might highlight the subject of ruffed grouse.
      Please make sure your contacts know the difference between Blue Grouse and Ruffed Grouse. Who knows....maybe
      there are still a few ruffed grouse out there in these areas! Please contact me if you have further information. Thanks.

      Bob Keiffer rjkeiffer@...