PG&E "Bird Guards"

  • jarlyus
    Message 1 of 2 , Jan 31, 2014

      PG&E replaced a transformer near me on Burris Lane in Potter Valley today,

      Part of the job included putting U shaped plastic channels on top of the three high tension wires by the crossbars.

      One of the workers told me they were "bird guards" and were made necessary by complaints from the Sierra Club and the Audubon Society.  He seemed to indicate that only certain (complaining?) neighborhoods get them.

      These were the first I've seen (I'll be looking now) and seem that they might protect birds with large wingspans from shorting out those wires.

      I don't know if we have been complaining along our road, but several months ago a Scrub Jay managed to get between two of the leads on that transformer, BBQ himself and blow two very loud fuses.

      Does anyone know if national or local Audubon chapters have been advocating these devices?  Are they being installed other places?

      Jim Armstrong

      Potter Valley

    • Chet Ogan
      Message 2 of 2 , Jan 31, 2014
        Jim,
        To answer your last question:
        Yes these eagle protectors are being installed elsewhere. I have seen presentations made by the power industry at several meetings of Western Section of The Wildlife Society.

        http://www.atclave.es/publicaciones/descargas/51_mitigation.pdf
        http://archive.audubonmagazine.org/incite/incite0001.html
        http://www.electricalmaterialscompany.com/htm/perch_guards.htm
        http://www.hcn.org/issues/144/4657/print_view
        http://volgabirds.ru/user_files/ikar/TechBulletin_0ct_00.pdf

        The first precaution of intelligent ecological tinkering is to keep every cog and wheel.
        -Aldo Leopold

        Chet Ogan
        Eureka, CA
        oganc@...