Mendocino Audubon Pelagic Trip

  • Charlene McAllister
    Message 1 of 1 , May 5, 2003
      May 4th Pelagic Trip out of Fort Bragg started out wet and cold, but
      turned into a sunny day as we headed out to sea. We went out 24 miles
      and the highlights of the trip included 2 LAYSAN ALBATROSS, RIGHT-WHALE
      DOLPHINS, A LAUGHING GULL and an abundance of BLACK-FOOTED ALBATROSS,
      SOOTY SHEARWATERS, and WESTERN GULLS. Great looks were had of POMERINE
      JAEGERS and PACIFIC WHITE-SIDED DOLPHINS.

      Full species list

      Red-throated Loon - 10

      Common Loon- 5

      Western Grebe-25

      Laysan Albatross-2

      Black-footed Albatross-750

      Northern Fulmar 250

      Pink-footed Shearwater

      Sooty Shearwater -2000

      Brandt's Cormorant 5

      Pelagic Cormorant-5

      Double-crested Cormorant 2

      Red-necked Phalarope 250

      Red Phalarope-1000

      Pomarine Jaeger-25

      Bonaparte's Gull -5

      California Gull-100

      Western Gull-1000

      Glaucous-winged Gull-5

      Sabine's Gull-50

      Laughing Gull-1

      Arctic Tern-2

      Common Murre -250

      Pigeon Guillemot-2

      Cassin's Auklet-10

      Rhinoceros Auklet-15

      Long-billed Curlew

      Northern Right-whale Dolphin 50+

      Pacific White-sided Dolphin 300+

      California Sea Lion -15

      Ocean Sunfish -1

      Blue Shark-3

      By-the-wind-sailor (Velella velella) - Millions!

      Charlene McAllister- MCAS
      charmac@...