Yesterday's birds

  • Ron LeValley
    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 12, 2014
      Hello all,

      Yesterday, January 11th, Toby Tobkin and I joined with Gene Hunn and led a grip with about 20 Sonoma birders from Point Arena up to MacKerricher State Park. We started at the Point Arena pier in the rain (no Al) with a Peregrine taking a bird from the water and flying off with it.

      We then went up to Stoneborough road where we had one Ferruginous Hawk and near the lagoon we saw a possible Rough-legged Hawk and along the edge of the lagoon in the tules we spotted a Common Yellowthroat.

      At the mouth of the Navarro River we looked through the gulls and saw a single Black-legged Kittiwake.

      At Lake Cleone a number of the group (including Toby and Gene) saw the Black and White Warbler and at least one and possibly multiple Black-capped Chickadees on the northeast part of the lake along the boardwalk. They also saw a Peregrine take a coot off the lake. The rest of us were out on Laguna Point and saw a Peregrine land behind a rock and then we saw a Common Raven come up from behind the rock with a big peice of meat in its bill. It flew over to the grassland next to the boardwalk and buried it in the grass!

      At Laguna Point was a single Willet. Tide was low and birds were scattered so we did not see a large number of the rocky shorebirds.

      Best, Ron

      Ron LeValley
      Little River CA