Lake Mendocino 4/26

  • chaniot@pacific.net
    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 26, 2001
      Thu, 26 Apr 2001 -- Today I did some Big Day scouting of Lake Mendocino and
      some other areas. There is very little left in the way of waterfowl at the
      lake. The water level is "full",748 feet, about a foot below the access
      road to the Mesa campground. The campground is being readied for opening,
      and there is vehicle access to the Mesa Day Use Area. Because of the water
      level there is no sandy or muddy shore anywhere. There is a full list of
      the waterbirds below.
      A brief tour of the Ukiah Sewage Treatment Plant revealed a
      continuing SOLITARY SANDPIPER which flew from the central pond to the north
      pond. There were also Least and Western Sandpipers, Greater Yellowlegs,
      Common Snipe, and a brood of downy Killdeers.
      And, Bingo!, there is an AMERICAN DIPPER nest with young under the
      old bridge on Potter Valley Road. The nest in on the middle pier on the
      upstream side. It can be seen from either end or by leaning over the rail,
      but the best view into the domed entrance is from a fishermen's trail on
      the SE corner of the bridge. I don't know how I've missed this nest. I've
      literally overlooked it.
      And on Burris Lane, Potter Valley a LEWIS'S WOODPECKER and a GOLDEN
      EAGLE.
      Last night I watched the movie "Finding Forrester". There is a big
      ornithological gaff: you'll enjoy it, so I won't spoil it for you.

      Lake Mendocino, MEN, CA 26 Apr 2001
      ============================
      Western Grebe 26 north end
      Clark's Grebe 2 north end
      Pied-billed Grebe 1 Coyote Dam
      Great Blue Heron 1 circling with vultures!
      Canada Goose 2 extreme south end
      Mallard 40
      scaup sp. 15 north of Miti Point
      Ruddy Duck? 1 north of Miti Point
      Comon Merganser 2 hatchery below Coyote Dam
      American Coot 20 south boat ramp
      Spotted Sandpiper 1 inlet road
      Rock Wren 1 Coyote Dam, marker 22