Possible Baltimore Oriole (or Hybrid?) - Rose Mem'l Cemetery 12/8-9

    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 9, 2013
      Sun, 8 & Mon 9 Dec, 2013 -- Yesterday, I briefly saw two orioles fly south to north across the cemetery and land in the ivy growing up several eucalyptus trees.  One was definitely smaller than the other with a more brownish gray back than the larger one.
      This morning I arrived and located a female Bullock's Oriole.  Dorothy Tobkin walked up, and we both saw what we speculated is an adult female Bullock's.  Then we heard the second oriole, and we both goth extensive looks at it.  This bird is orange on the face and yellow-orange down to the lower belly, where the color was light lemon cream to whitish in the vent area.  The undertail coverts were orange yellow.  The crown and nape were brown, and the back was grayish with a tan cast to it.  The white upper wing bar was very broad.  This bird had a small, gray spot at the base of the throat.  The bird gave an occasional chatter that was all on one pitch (like the Bullock's on the Cornell app).  Cornell's chatter of the Baltimore was three-tiered, ascending slighty.  Photos would be greatly appreciated!

      I watched the Yellow-bellied Sapsucker as it flew from banksia to banksia.  I hope to get a better look soon.  It has quite a lot of white overall, but the red throat looked fairly extensive.

      Karen Havlena and Dorothy Tobkin
      Fort Bragg, MEN, California