a4/26 MEN "Big Day"

  • Chuck & Barbara Vaughn
    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 27, 2003
      Greetings Mendobirders: Yesterday the group of George Chaniot, Bob
      Keiffer, Matthew Matthiessen, and myself made a Mendocino County Big Day
      effort trying to break the old record of 161 species seen in 24 hours from
      1999 (Chaniot, Keiffer, Vaughn, and White). We came close, winding up with
      159, but didn't quite make it. We started the Day at 0400 at the tank
      house on the Keiffer farm in Hopland for the usual Barn Owls. We proceeded
      to the UC Hopland R&E Center for more owling (Western Screech, Great Horned
      and Northern Pygmy-Owls), and birded the chaparral and oaks there until
      1000. Highlights (including unexpected very late and early birds) were
      Western Wood-Pewee, Ruby-crowned Kinglets, Cedar Waxwings, Hermit Warblers,
      Lazuli Buntings, and Rufous-crowned, Lincoln's and Grasshopper
      Sparrows. On to the Ukiah Wastewater Treatment Plant where we found a nice
      assortment of ducks (including late Northern Shovelers, Lesser Scaups, and
      American Wigeons) and some very nice shorebirds: Lesser Yellowlegs,
      Long-billed Dowitchers, and the birds of the day, 2 Solitary
      Sandpipers. We proceeded to Potter Valley and Burris Lane, finding
      American Dipper, Lewis's Woodpeckers, and a very late Merlin. Lake
      Mendocino is presently a steep-sided bath tub of muddy water being stored
      for Sonoma and Marin county consumers (pardon the editorial tangent), and
      was miserable birding (Western and Clark's Grebes). We picked up a
      Peregrine Falcon on Boonville Road and left for the coast with 124 species
      and confident that with any luck at all we had a great opportunity to raise
      the Big Day bar in the county. Well...the coast was slllooowwww. The only
      bird of note was a single Bonaparte's Gull on the mud at the Navarro River
      beach. We had no unusual shorebirds, and in fact missed birds like Willet,
      Black-bellied Plover, and Surfbird. Scoping was unproductive even with our
      best scope-stretchers. We ended the day at McGuire Hill Pond on Highway 20
      at 8pm with a single Tricolored Blackbird.

      Wait 'til next year!

      Chuck

      XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

      Chuck and Barbara Vaughn