Banded Snowy Egret

  • stevestump
    Message 1 of 3 , Nov 10, 2013

      11/10/13 1230pm

      Today at the Ukiah WWTP I photographed a "banded" Snowy Egret. I large red band with the words "AOO" are on the right leg and a smaller silver band with no words is on the left leg. The photo's are on Flickr at the link below. If the powers that be would like an original pic, just email me at stevestump@... I would like to know where this bird came from. Thanks, Steve Stump

      http://www.flickr.com/photos/stevestump/10785441796/in/photostream/

      http://www.flickr.com/photos/stevestump/10785667413/in/photostream/

    • stevestump
      Message 2 of 3 , Nov 10, 2013

        11/10/13 1515

        Hello, I sent an email to International Bird Rescue and they sent this email back.

        Thanks for letting us know! This is a hatch year bird that had fallen from its nest in Santa Rosa and was brought into the Santa Rosa Bird Rescue Center for stabilization on June 13, 2013. The following day, it was transferred to our Fairfield rehabilitation center for more specialized care. For reference, its case number at our center was SF-2013-1648. When egrets nest in heavily populated areas where there is little to no undergrowth beneath the trees they have no way of climbing back up and often develop fractures from the fall straight down to the ground. However, this one had no major medical issues aside from having fallen from its nest. When it had reached full adult weight and was capable of flying, it was released at the Laguna de Santa Rosa on July 18, 2013. Its left leg has a federal band (1076-68400). The red bands are much easier to see and can help us identify the birds and match them up to their federal band numbers. While the information you have provided us is helpful, it is important that you also report the band and sighting via the Bird Banding Lab reporting website:
        https://www.pwrc.usgs.gov/BBL/bblretrv/

        If you have questions or need assistance with the report, please feel free to contact us. You may call the clinic and leave us a voicemail at 707-207-0380 or send us an email at wildlifecenter.sfbay@.... Thanks again for the awesome photos!! It is always exciting to hear that one of our patients is doing well out there!

        -Suzie

        [P] 707.207.0380 x110
        [F] 707.207.0395
        Wildlifecenter.SFBay@...

        International Bird Rescue
        Wildlife Center - San Francisco Bay
        4369 Cordelia Road
        Fairfield, CA 94534
        www.Bird-Rescue.org

        nt an email to

        ---In Mendobirds@yahoogroups.com, <stevestump@...> wrote:

        11/10/13 1230pm

        Today at the Ukiah WWTP I photographed a "banded" Snowy Egret. I large red band with the words "AOO" are on the right leg and a smaller silver band with no words is on the left leg. The photo's are on Flickr at the link below. If the powers that be would like an original pic, just email me at stevestump@... I would like to know where this bird came from. Thanks, Steve Stump

        http://www.flickr.com/photos/stevestump/10785441796/in/photostream/

        http://www.flickr.com/photos/stevestump/10785667413/in/photostream/

      • Diane Hichwa
        Message 3 of 3 , Nov 10, 2013
          Nice job Steve.  Thanks for following up on this and the info about banding.
          I have passed this info on to Mary Ellen Rayner of Santa Rosa's Bird Rescue Center (since they pick up the birds from the W 9th St Colony especially), to Emiko Condeso of Audubon Canyon Ranch since they have a long term study of Herons and Egrets in the whole Bay Area and would be interested to learn about the movement, and to Susan Kirks of Madrone Audubon who spearheaded getting some hay under the W 9th St Colony to cushion the falls.

          IF any of you pass through Santa Rosa, between April and June especially, there is an interesting mixed colony (Black-crowned Night Herons, Snowy Egrets, Cattle Egrets and Great Egrets) nesting in the trees of the median of W 9th Between Stony Pt and Dutton Rds, to the tune of about 150 nests.  Fascinating to see and to photograph.
          The colony was pushed all around SR as trees were chopped down to force the birds to move on  (messy, noisy things that they are).  The birds often take the "highway" of Santa Rosa Creek a block away and head W to the Laguna de Santa Rosa.
          Diane Hichwa

          Email:  dhichwa@...

          Telephone:  707-785-1922 (Sea Ranch)
                      707-483-3130 (cell)