Redhead & American Bittern - Ft Bragg Area

  • Karen
    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 30, 2013
      Wed, 30 Oct 2013 -- This morning I studied a young male REDHEAD at Pudding Creek lagoon. He is still retains mostly juv/immature plumage, but there are a few light gray wing (or mantle) feathers with very narrow horizontal striping. Those feathers are more easily seen on the left side.

      At Lake Cleone, near the the outlet, was an AMERICAN BITTERN out in the open hunting. It casually walked at a slow pace into the reeds after a minute.

      Pudding Creek lagoon is NW of the Hwy 1 bridge and opposite Pudding Creek Rd, Fort Bragg. Lake Cleone is north of Fort Bragg in MacKerricher SP. I saw David Flaim and told him about these birds.

      Karen Havlena
      Fort Bragg, MEN, Ca

      Sent from my iPhone