Black Scoters & White-throated Sparrow - Virgin Creek

    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 5, 2013
      Sat, 5 October 2013 -- This morning I did an SOS survey at Virgin Creek beach and the "enchanted forest" entrance from Hwy 1 out to the Haul Rd.  An imm. "tan-striped" WHITE-THROATED SPARROW was not far from the highway along the path.  Just offshore from the rocky outcropping a pair adult (m & f) BLACK SCOTERS were with a small flock of Surf Scoters.

      Both in the creek, and later by a drying kelp pile, were two PECTORAL SANDPIPERS.  One looked like a worn adult and the other one was a very bright immature.  I was able to approach them to get a good look at the immature.  It was definitely a Pectoral - cap not particularly rufous, virtually no whitish supercilium and narrow streaks completely across the chest and a straight cutoff at mid-breast (darn!).  Also, the LONG-BILLED CURLEW continued.

      Virgin Creek's official access is just north of the Montessori School on Hwy 1 near the north limit of Fort Bragg.

      Karen Havlena
      North of Fort Bragg, MEN, Ca