Lapland Longspur at Mendocino Headlands

  • richhubie
    Message 1 of 3 , Oct 2, 2013
      Wed Oct 2, 2013--This evening I had a late drive into Mendocino with a hour of wait time. I decided to head out to the Headlands. With the winds blowing 20 plus mph I was trying to figure out if it was worth the effort to get out of the car. I saw a bird flying over battling the winds and as it went past I heard a dry rattle flight call. I knew It was a Longspur. Found the LAPLAND LONGSPUR on the trail nearest the bluff just south of the monument. A hiker moved it downslope.

      This is the earliest this bird has been ebirded. Don't know about other records. Normally I start looking for them during the middle of October.

      Richard Hubacek
      Little River