Lawrence's Goldfinch

  • Robert Keiffer
    Message 1 of 12 , Oct 1, 2013
      Tuesday - 1 October 2013 - While draining a large pressure tank near our irrigation pit pond at the UC Hopland Research & Extension Center, 3 American Goldfinches flew in to drink from the running water. I took note of this as AMGO are not all that common around Hopland (at least not in numbers like on the coast). Then, a few minutes later a lone goldfinch came in to drink, about 12 feet away from me, and I thought I noticed yellow in the wings. As I crept a bit closer for an open view ...sure enough, a male LAWRENCE'S GOLDFINCH was drinking away from a small puddle... and it appeared to be an adult in winter plumage with very gray back, nape, and crown, some black on forecrown and face but not as prominent as breeding males, and of course the yellow in the wings. I could not see well how much yellow was on the breast, but as it flew away my impression was that it was restricted to the upper breast ... not the entire breast to upper abdomen like breeding males. Good Birding. Bob Keiffer rjkeiffer@...<mailto:rjkeiffer@...>

      [Toolkit_Email_Sig_WIN]
      Robert J. Keiffer - Superintendent
      4070 University Rd.
      Hopland, CA 95449