SNOW MOUNTAIN ; 19 SEPTEMBER 2013

  • Jerry White
    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 23, 2013
      Dave Woodward and I hiked into the Snow Mt. Wilderness this past Thursday. Dave has done extensive field work in that area over the years and I have had a good number of trips up there as well. Only two Fall trips for me but Dave has been up there in the Fall many times. We had a total of 40 species of birds.

      As expected we found White-headed Woodpeckers, Cassin's Finch, and Mountain Chickadees.We recorded only 1 Green-tailed Towhee although in the past they have been much easier to find at this time of year. Fox Sparrows were numerous, all of which were "Sooty" Fox Sparrows. Odd, but actually recorded on past Fall trips by Dave were 3 Lewis's Woodpeckers. There were at least 2 Cooper's Hawks and a Golden Eagle seen.
      A first for Snow Mountain at any time of the year for Dave and I were 2 White-throated Swifts. All three Lake County swift's have now been recorded in the wilderness with past records of Vaux's and Black Swifts already.
      Another first for the wilderness for both of us was a Black Bear seen galloping through the Red Fir Forest.
      Jerry White