Vaux's Swift Nest Sites Wanted

  • JHUNTER323@AOL.COM
    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 25, 2001
      Biologists, Birders, and others,

      With spring upon us, we are once again requesting information on Vaux's Swift nest and roost sites in California. We are primarily interested in tree nests, but roost locations and nests in chimneys and other man made structures are also wanted. We intend to visit as many of these sites as possible and take some basic measurements which will allow us to describe these structures. Surprisingly, very little work has been conducted on this species in California. This basic information is needed for management and conservation purposes. We need somewhat detailed information on where the nest is located and how to find it. Other useful data would include the breeding evidence observed, dates of observations, and observer names. Information on old nests is also of potential value, so long as the site can be relocated.

      During 2000, my co-investigator (MJ Mazurek from the Redwood Sciences Lab,U.S. Forest Service) and myself relocated and measured about 12 tree nests.
      We thank all those who provided information; all contributors will be acknowledged in any reports or publications.

      In addition, any information on mortality events where Vaux's Swifts are trapped or killed in chimneys or other structures would also be appreciated.

      Please feel free to forward this message to others that might be able to help.

      Sincerely,

      John E. Hunter
      Arcata Fish and Wildlife Office
      1655 Heindon Road