MCAS Half-day Pelagic Trip Report 9/15/13

  • K A Havlena
    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 15, 2013
      Sun, 15 Sep 2013 -- One could not ask for a more beautiful day - warm waters, mostly clear, calm winds, and very calm seas!  It was SO warm and calm that some of the usual birds seen in fall were missing.  However, we definitely had a "whale" of a show!  Both 6-7 BLUE and 7-10 HUMP-BACKED WHALES were extremely close to the Telstar.  They put on a show for at least an hour, coming within 7-10 FEET of the boat.

      Our "unusual land birds" over the ocean were: a pair of BLUE-WINGED TEAL and a HUMMINGBIRD (probable Anna's)!

      The seabirds included:  PINK-FOOTED SHEARWATER, SOOTY SHEARWATER, cormorants and brown pelicans, Surf Scoters, RED PHALAROPE, RED-NECKED PHALAROPE, COM TERN, COM MURRE, CASSIN'S AUKLET and RHINOCEROS AUKLET.

      Ron LeValley (our leader) said the warm water temperatures kept away species such as: albatrosses, most tubenoses, Sabine's gull, and jaegers!   Big misses...

      Thanks to Ron LeValley for being our solo guide.  A good time was had by all, however, with no "chumming" by any of the participants!

      Karen Havlena
      Fort Bragg, MEN, Ca