Whales offshore

  • Ron LeValley
    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 11, 2013

      Hello all, I know this not about birds, but I just had to tell people that while I was scanning the very calm ocean for birds from the Little River Headlands, I spotted a pod of about 10 whales on the horizon. They are moving very slowly north and are now (11:00 a.m.) real close to the offshore weather buoy about 7 miles offshore. I am 95% sure that these are Sperm Whales. The spouts are quick and often at an angle, the whales are almost black and when they roll on the surface they do not hump up like a humpback. They were fluking occasionally and the tails were consistent with Sperm Whales.

      If anyone is out fishing today or tomorrow, keep your eyes out!

      Ron LeValley

      Little River