Summer Tanager??

  • dcolivarez@prodigy.net
    Message 1 of 2 , Sep 4 11:40 AM
      Last evening,9/3, I walked out to the mouth of Virgin Creek using the north trail past the Montessori school. Not much to be seen except for a few white crowned and quite a few mourning doves. On my return I was surprised to see a bright small bright red bird in the dead trees on the north side of the path. Camera in hand I attempted to photograph. I was able to get 4 or 5 out of focus or partially focused shots.
      When I got home I downloaded them to my computer and got out my Peterson's guide. It appears to be a summer tanager but hopefully someone can site it and confirm. My guide shows its range to be further south. My wife's guide shows a possible grouping near Lake Tahoe.
      I'll try to get some photos posted. My photos are not great but it is fairly clear it is not a house finch, purple finch or red cross bill.All red, no wing bars, no brown.
    • birdmanofthewoods4
      Message 2 of 2 , Sep 4 9:31 PM

         I would say definitely a summer tanager. Very rare, but we got one at the Botanical Gardens a couple of years ago. Cool sighting.