Ukiah WWTP

  • Steve
    Message 1 of 17 , Aug 20, 2013
      Tue Aug 20, 2013 6:30 am

      The shorebirds are moving in at the WWTP. There are scores of peeps, a Pectoral Sandpiper, Greater and Lesser Yellowlegs and Long-billed Dowitcher this am. Steve Stump
    • stevestump
      Message 2 of 17 , Feb 11, 2014
        2/11/14 1055

        There are 5 Pintail and 3 Canvasback at the Ukiah WWTP. Steve Stump

      • stevestump
        Message 3 of 17 , Aug 20, 2014

          This afternoon the Forster's Tern continued to the end of the working day. I was able to get photo's as the bird was on the road and it ends up that it was banded. Photo's attached

          Also, the Baird's Sandpipers (2) continued with a Sanderling and 10 Red-necked Phalarope. And lastly there was a Green-winged Teal. Steve Stump

          Forster's Tern banded

          Forster's Tern Banded (2)

        • stevestump
          Message 4 of 17 , Jan 25, 2015

            1/25/15 0700

            This morning there are lot's of geese. Canada, Cackling and one Snow Goose. Also there were three Tundra Swan that I spooked into flight. It looked liked they were circling back around but I am not sure. Really foggy over the ponds this am.

             The Chipping Sparrows are out every morning around 7 am, they are roosting in the redwood trees in front of the office. Steve Stump

          • stevestump
            Message 5 of 17 , Apr 7, 2015

              4/7/15 1100

              This morning at the Ukiah WWTP a flock of 55 Greater/Lesser Scaup flew into the ponds. Along with them is a male Canvasback. Also there are 4 Horned Grebe molting into breeding plumage.Early this morning there were 16 Greater Yellowlegs (several still here). Steve Stump

            • stevestump
              Message 6 of 17 , Jul 4, 2015

                7/4/15 1350

                There is a Lesser Yellowlegs at the Ukiah WWTP along with 6 Greater Yellowlegs.

                Other shorebirds include 2 Long-billed Dowitcher 5 American Avocet 120 peeps and 6 Wilson's Phalarope (flew in at around 1245). Also found was a Spotted Sandpiper nest with four eggs on the edge of the road.

                Steve Stump

              • stevestump
                Message 7 of 17 , Jul 10, 2015

                  7/10/15 1203

                  One of the adult American Avocets have left and the three immature birds are now taking short flights around the North Pond. Other birds of interest are 12 Greater Yellowlegs, 10 Wilson's Phalarope, scores of peeps and 2 Hooded Mergansers. Also there were two Lawrence's Goldfinch in the dry area of the lagoon (West side).

                  Steve Stump

                • stevestump
                  Message 8 of 17 , Aug 18, 2015

                    8/19/15 0630

                    There is a Solitary Sandpiper, 3 juv Black-crowned Night Heron and hundreds of peeps (probably some good ones I didn't have time to scope them this morning) at the Ukiah WWTP. Steve Stump

                  • stevestump
                    Message 9 of 17 , Sep 13, 2015

                      09/13/15 430 pm

                      The female Yellow-headed Blackbird seen yesterday by three birders continued today at the Ukiah WWTP.

                      The WWTP started slow feeding the dry middle pond today, so there should be some good birds for the next few days.

                      If you are interested in seeing a lot of species for the county, now is a good time to check out the WWTP (7 am to 3 pm 365 days a year). I am leaving a link to my eBird checklist to give interested parties an idea of today's birds. http://ebird.org/ebird/view/checklist?subID=S25021085    Steve Stump

                    • stevestump
                      Message 10 of 17 , Apr 7, 2016

                        4/7/16 1655

                        The Ukiah WWTP is pumping down the South pond at the perfect time for shorebirds. Along with four American Avocets this afternoon there were three Western Sandpipers and eight Least Sandpipers.

                        The pond was low enough for the Avocets to feed at belly depth and the shoreline is wet. Looking forward to a good bird day tomorrow. Steve Stump

                      • stevestump
                        Message 11 of 17 , Apr 10, 2016
                          The Solitary Sandpiper continues this morning on the South side of the South pond.
                          Also, two of the four American Avocets were observed building a nest this morning in almost the exact same spot as last year.
                          Interesting note, there was a lone Avocet that arrived here on the 7th of April and was gone the next day. Could it have been the 3rd sibling from last year and saw that the family wasn't around? I'm thinking the parents are back and perhaps two of the siblings? Any thoughts on family dating family(in the bird world of course)? Steve Stump

                        • stevestump
                          Message 12 of 17 , Apr 11, 2016

                            4/11/16 0740

                            The Solitary Sandpiper continues in the sludge lagoon. Also the Avocets continue their nest building project. Steve Stump

                          • stevestump
                            Message 13 of 17 , Jun 11 10:11 AM
                              6/11/16 1000

                              The Great-tailed Grackle is back at the Ukiah WWTP. Steve Stump
                            • stevestump
                              Message 14 of 17 , Aug 5, 2016
                                8/5/16 4 pm

                                This afternoon at 3:00 pm I heard first then saw the continuing Summer Tanager in the same area as previously reported. This is the 14th day from the first reported sighting by Chuck Vaughn on July 23rd. Also at the plant was a Lesser Yellowlegs and approximately 150 peeps (mostly WESA).
                                On  8/3 a flock of 14 Greater Yellowlegs and 9 Dowitcher sp. were also passing through. Looks like a good time to be on the lookout for migrants and vagrants. Steve Stump

                              • stevestump
                                Message 15 of 17 , Aug 12, 2016
                                  8/12/16 1010

                                  Presently there is a Solitary Sandpiper, Wilson's Phalarope and Lesser Yellowlegs along with lots of peeps at the Ukiah WWTP. The middle pond is very low, so great for shorebirds. Steve Stump
                                • stevestump
                                  Message 16 of 17 , Aug 12, 2016

                                    8/12/16 1010

                                    Sorry if this post is duplicated, I have been having troubles posting from my phone.

                                    Presently there is a Solitary Sandpiper, Wilson's Phalarope and Lesser Yellowlegs at the Ukiah WWTP. The middle pond is very low and much land is showing in the water. Great time for migrating shorebirds.

                                     Steve Stump

                                  • stevestump
                                    Message 17 of 17 , Aug 13, 2016

                                      8/13/16 0850

                                      Along with the Black-necked Stilt is a Baird's Sandpiper and a continuing Solitary Sandpiper. Also, Matt Brady found the continuing Summer Tanager in the large Cottonwood tree in the same general area. He said it should be around for a while because he saw that it had no tail. Steve Stump