acorn woodpeckers on coast: diet question

  • katemarianchild
    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 5 1:36 PM
      Does anyone know what kinds of acorns the ACWOs on the coast in the Fort Bragg area are eating?

      Usually they only live in areas with two species of oak. I assume they must be harvesting tanoak acorns, but what else? Are there any coast live oaks?

      I don't know how widespread they are in the Fort Bragg area,, but I know they're at the Botanical Gardens and in the area of Simpson Lane and Franklin.

      Thanks for any coast ACWO lore you can give me.

      Kate