Lawrence's Goldfinch

  • Chuck & Barbara Vaughn
    Message 1 of 12 , Mar 31, 2003
      Greetings Mendobirders: Earlier this afternoon I saw a male Lawrence's
      Goldfinch in a mixed flock of Lesser Goldfinches and House Finches by the
      permanent pasture at the entrance to HREC. This is the earliest record I
      have for LAGO in the county by a month!

      Chuck

      ***********************************
      Chuck and Barbara Vaughn
      1550 Deerwood Drive
      Ukiah, CA 95482

      cevaughn@...
    • Robert J. Keiffer
      Message 2 of 12 , May 26, 2004
        Wednesday, May 26, 2004, Once again Lawrence's Goldfinches are coming to
        the salt feeders here at the UC Hopland Research & Extension Center. I
        saw 3 on Friday mid-day and 2 males today at mid-afternoon. Easily seen
        from University Road, drive up the University Road from East side road just
        north of the little community of "Old Hopland" (Highway 175 runs through
        this town). Go about two miles east on University Road, climbing a steep
        grade along the way. Within about a half-mile past the top of the grade
        you will pass a green meadow on your right and as you approach a sharp turn
        to the left you will see a bright red feeder next to a sign that says
        "Vasser Corner". Park on the right at the pullout leading to the
        aluminum gate and watch the fenceline for birds. they have been coming to
        a rubber tub salt feeder next to the bright red feeder. They may also
        come to the other two modern-looking salt feeders near the bath tub
        drinking trough.

        There has also been a male Lazuli Bunting in this area.

        Good Luck. Bob Keiffer

        Robert J. Keiffer
        Principal Supt. of Agriculture
        UC Hopland Research & Extension Center
        4070 University Road
        Hopland, CA 95449
        (707) 744-1424 FAX (707) 744-1040

        Theodore Roosevelt

      • Robert J. Keiffer
        Message 3 of 12 , May 16, 2007
          Wednesday - 16 May 2007 - Today I saw at least 5 male Lawrence's
          Goldfinches feeding on fiddleneck flowers with a group of Lesser
          Goldfinches (mostly males). With this number showing up, and other
          sightings in the county, it is likely that the UC Hopland Research &
          Extension Center birds will soon find the established salt feeder
          along University Road. If this happens, as it has in the past
          (except for last year), it provides a good "wait and see" spot for
          the public birders to watch for this species. Chuck Vaughn and I
          will keep an eye on this spot and post it if they begin to use the
          salt feeder site. Good birding. Bob Keiffer

          Robert J. Keiffer
          Principal Supt. of Agriculture
          UC Hopland Research & Extension Center
          4070 University Road
          Hopland, CA 95449
          (707) 744-1424 FAX (707) 744-1040

          arena." Theodore Roosevelt

        • Kate Marianchild
          Message 4 of 12 , May 16, 2007
            I saw a male Lawrence's Goldfinch at Round Mountain ranch in oak canopy
            this afternoon.

            I also saw the Red-shouldered Hawk Dad feeding a King Snake to his
            three youngsters. He worked on the tail end for a long time, struggling
            to get meat. It seemed to be hard to tear it off. Then he ceased
            feeding the chicks, and kept looking in the nest, as if wondering, "Now
            what am I going to do with the rest of that snake? It's taking up too
            much space." He picked it up and held it, looking off into the
            distance, which is when I saw that the body of the snake was largely
            untouched. Then he put it down and picked it up a few more times, and
            finally he flew off with it. I wish I knew where he took it. To hang it
            over a limb somewhere and save for later?

            Does anyone know if raptors cache food away from their nests?

            Kate

            On May 16, 2007, at 5:46 PM, Robert J. Keiffer wrote:

            > Wednesday - 16 May 2007 - Today I saw at least 5 male Lawrence's
            > Goldfinches feeding on fiddleneck flowers with a group of Lesser
            > Goldfinches (mostly males). With this number showing up, and other
            > sightings in the county, it is likely that the UC Hopland Research &
            > Extension Center birds will soon find the established salt feeder
            > along University Road. If this happens, as it has in the past
            > (except for last year), it provides a good "wait and see" spot for
            > the public birders to watch for this species. Chuck Vaughn and I
            > will keep an eye on this spot and post it if they begin to use the
            > salt feeder site. Good birding. Bob Keiffer
            >
            > Robert J. Keiffer
            > Principal Supt. of Agriculture
            > UC Hopland Research & Extension Center
            > 4070 University Road
            > Hopland, CA 95449
            > (707) 744-1424 FAX (707) 744-1040
            > HREC website: http://danrrec.ucdavis.edu/hopland/home_page.html
            >
            > "It is not the critic who counts... not the one who points out how
            > the strong person stumbles... or where the doer of deeds could have
            > done better. The credit belongs to the person who is actually in the
            > arena." Theodore Roosevelt

          • Robert J. Keiffer
            Message 5 of 12 , May 28, 2009
              28 May 2009 - Thursday morning - today I observed a male Lawrence's
              Goldfinch gather salt at the traditional spot from years past along
              University Road here at the UC Hopland Research & Extension Center. The
              "traditional spot" is a black-plastic salt feeder for sheep that is on the
              SE side of the road near a wooden pasture sign that says "Vassar Corner".
              There are multiple Lesser Goldfinches and House Finches that come in for the
              salt also. The salt feeders have a large black plastic rain shield over the
              top of the tubs. Viewers are welcome to stop at the "parking area" near the
              sign ..watch for the goldfinches at the salt feeder close by (25 feet), or
              the salt feeder behind the gate (75 feet), or atop the many fences, or
              bathing at the bird bath near the tank overflow to the SE. Listen for the
              high "bell-like tinkle" sound of the Lawrence's. Good birding. Bob
              Keiffer.

            • Robert J. Keiffer
              Message 6 of 12 , Jan 6, 2010
                6 December 2010 - Wednesday - I refound the Lawrence's Goldfinches that
                Chuck found yesterday at the UC Hopland Research & Extension Center. There
                were at least 12 of them, maybe 14, mixed with three Lesser's. They are at
                the top elevations of the Center and not open to public access. If you
                desire to look for these for a life bird or year list then you will need to
                contact me directly at 707-744-1424 ext 112 or email. I will try to check
                on them every couple of days and post if they persist. Good birding. Bob
                Keiffer

              • Adamson, Roger
                Message 7 of 12 , May 12, 2012
                  Finally!! The Lawrence's Golfinch returned to be seen at 6:02 pm today.
                  Roger Adamson

                  RHA
                • Robert Keiffer
                  Message 8 of 12 , Jun 6, 2013
                    5 June 2013 - Wednesday - At about 1:00PM I observed a lone male Lawrence's Goldfinch feeding on gravel or seeds, on the gravel road parking area adjacent to "Vassar Corner Experimental Area" here at the UC Hopland Research & Extension Center. This is one of the traditional spots for finding this species at HREC, but we have not observed any for over two years here. At this spot goldfinches and other birds are drawn to the granulated mineral salt that we put out in black tub dispensers for the sheep. We have added some new salt to the tub just for the goldfinches ...so this may be a good spot for anyone to check out, as it is right along University Road which is open to the public. I suspect more LAGO will be drawn to the spot. This pullout spot if exactly 2.0 miles from the intersection of Old River Road and University Road, and is on the right hand side of a sharp 90 degree road turn to the left. The "Vassar Corner Experimental" sign will be on the fence directly to the east. Watch the tops of the wire fences and listen for the "tinkling bell-like call notes". Good Birding. Bob Keiffer rjkeiffer@...<mailto:rjkeiffer@...>

                    [Toolkit_Email_Sig_WIN]
                    Robert J. Keiffer - Superintendent
                    4070 University Rd.
                    Hopland, CA 95449
                    707-744-1424 ext. 112
                    Office hours: Monday-Friday 8:00-5:00

                  • Robert Keiffer
                    Message 9 of 12 , Oct 1, 2013
                      Tuesday - 1 October 2013 - While draining a large pressure tank near our irrigation pit pond at the UC Hopland Research & Extension Center, 3 American Goldfinches flew in to drink from the running water. I took note of this as AMGO are not all that common around Hopland (at least not in numbers like on the coast). Then, a few minutes later a lone goldfinch came in to drink, about 12 feet away from me, and I thought I noticed yellow in the wings. As I crept a bit closer for an open view ...sure enough, a male LAWRENCE'S GOLDFINCH was drinking away from a small puddle... and it appeared to be an adult in winter plumage with very gray back, nape, and crown, some black on forecrown and face but not as prominent as breeding males, and of course the yellow in the wings. I could not see well how much yellow was on the breast, but as it flew away my impression was that it was restricted to the upper breast ... not the entire breast to upper abdomen like breeding males. Good Birding. Bob Keiffer rjkeiffer@...<mailto:rjkeiffer@...>