Seemed Like Fall on Coast

    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 28, 2013
      Sat, 27 July 2013 -- I saw two bright WESTERN TANAGERs and a 1st-yr male BLACK-HEADED GROSBEAK on the official, state parks trail to Virgin Creek beach.  The light breeze had shifted directions, now the prevailing NW wind.  It was much cooler, but still overcast with some fog.  It felt like fall is on the way.

      At Virgin Creek beach, there were two SNOWY PLOVERs, a 2nd male joining Richard Hubacek's single SNPL from the past week.  They were with Semipalmated Plovers in the dry sand on the main beach.  We have also had Ruddy Turnstones and other other turnstones, willits, joining migrating Sanderlings, and Western & Least Sandpipers.

      The official access is on Hwy 1, north of Matson's Building Materials & Three Rivers Charter School.

      Karen Havlena
      North of Fort Bragg, MEN, Ca