Franklin's Gull - Virgin Creek Beach 7/20/13

    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 20, 2013
      Sat, 20 July 2013 -- While doing my SOS survey this morning, I spotted a black-headed gull and called to George Chaniot.  It was either a FRANKLIN'S GULL or a Laughing Gull.  George, Jan and I took turns looking through his scope over and over.  While most field marks pointed to Franklin's, this bird had completely black primary wing tips.  It was on the north part of the beach not far from loafing rock.  I took some far away photos to send to Ron LeValley.  Ron helped us erase the question marks over our heads.  So, Franklin's it is.

      Virgin Creek beach is in MacKerricher State Park, just north of the Fort Bragg city limits, west of Hwy 1.

      Karen Havlena
      North of Fort Bragg, MEN, California