Blue Grouse - 3/30

  • Matthew Matthiessen
    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 31, 2003
      Greetings MendoBirders,
      Yesterday I drove up Low Gap Rd to see if any Blue Grouse are booming
      yet. I began at the second cattle guard (no Blue Grouse) and continued
      west from there stopping periodically to listen. At 0.75 miles west of
      the second cattle guard I finally encountered BLUE GROUSE. A male was
      booming downslope from this location and a female was in a tree directly
      over the road.

      To find this location drive west on Low Gap Rd to the second cattle
      guard. At about 0.7 miles west of the second cattle guard there is an
      open meadow area downslope on the right (north). At 0.75 miles west of
      the second cattle guard the road makes an "S" curve to the left and then
      immediately back to the right. Right were the road curves left there
      are trees on the right (north) side of the road and this is where the
      grouse was booming.

      Good Birding Ya'll

      Matthew Matthiessen
      Ukiah