Fledgling Hooded Orioles and newly arrived Western Tanagers

  • Dave
    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 15, 2013
      This morning, 2 fledgling Hooded Orioles showed up at the feeders with both parents and a 1st year male. I assume they just left the nest. It is the first time I have seen 5 H Orioles at my feeders at the same time. Not exactly rare but fun.

      When I went to see my fig trees this morning there were at least 2 Western Tanagers feeding on the figs along with Black-headed Grosbeaks, Starlings, etc. This is early for me to see Tanagers at the figs. I usually do not see them until later in the summer or fall.

      The young Grosbeaks seem to be feeding on figs and yellow plums this year, which seems strange to me for Grosbeaks.

      Dave Bengston
      Ukiah