Ukiah Wastewater Treatment Plant shorebirds

  • Chuck and Barbara Vaughn
    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 7, 2013
      Greetings Mendobirders- Southward shorebird movement is beginning to pick
      up on our coast, and here inland. We are fortunate that the WTP has
      excellent muddy habitat presently on the draining north pond, and also
      fortunate that Steve Stump is keeping an eye out for us. This morning he
      found our first-of-season Long-billed Dowitcher on the N pond. I birded
      out there between 715 and 815 and saw the Dowitcher with 25 Western
      Sandpipers, 1 Least Sandpiper, 7 Red-necked Phalaropes, and a Dunlin. The
      latter bird was a real surprise. An adult molting out of breeding
      plumage, it is our first Mendocino County summer record and the earliest
      reported locally by more than a month. This is a good year and great
      place to look for shorebirds!

      Chuck

      --
      Chuck and Barbara Vaughn