Black Skimmer and Long-billed Curlew at Clear Lake

  • John Sterling
    Message 1 of 2 , Jul 3, 2013
      Floyd Hayes called me this morning to report that he saw a Black Skimmer and a Long-billed Curlew at Clear Lake. They are on a boat right now during bird surveys and found these great birds on the west side of the lake, the skimmer making several passes. He suggested renting a boat to look for these birds. Good luck!

      This is the first record of Black Skimmer for Lake County....certainly a surprising bird for that location.

      John

      John Sterling
      VVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVV

      26 Palm Ave
      Woodland, CA 95695
      530 908-3836
      jsterling@...

    • Floyd Hayes
      Message 2 of 2 , Jul 3, 2013
        During the past 4 summers I've been studying grebes with students and local birder Bryan McIntosh, and we've learned
        that rare birds at Clear Lake are much easier to find from a boat than from
        land.

        Bryan and I were canoeing in search of nesting Aechmophorus grebes (10 active colonies) this morning when the BLACK SKIMMER (1st for Lake County) flew past us, flying from east to west, over Rumsey Slough at 7:21 am. Rumsey Slough is located about 1.5 miles southeast of Lakeport. We last saw it flying toward Lakeport. It flew past us again at 7:37 and at 7:47, both times flying from east to west, so somehow it circled past us twice. We spent another hour surveying grebes in the area without seeing the skimmer again, so we surmised it found a resting spot somewhere. Jerry White and David Woodward searched for it to the southeast at Lakeside County Park and Clear Lake State Park, which have sandy beaches potentially suitable for a skimmer, but couldn't relocate it. Hopefully they will relocate it somewhere later today. If anybody wants to give it a serious search, the odds of finding it from land may be slim. A boat would maximize your chances of seeing it
        and you may need to get out there early in the morning before it gets too hot. Disney Water Sports is the only boat rental company in Lakeport and would be happy to rent a boat to birders, but you'll want to ask today if you can rent a boat early in the morning. Their website is http://www.disneyswatersports.com

        Bryan and I saw the LONG-BILLED CURLEW (4th for Lake County) fly from W to E over Rumsey Slough at 7:00 am. We saw it again at 8:25 as it flew north. I immediately called Jerry, who saw it from Lakeport as it continued flying northward beyond Lakeport. The odds of seeing it again are slim, but shorebird habitat is excellent at Borax Lake (nothing there on Sunday; we didn't check today). We also saw two WILSON'S PHALAROPES land on the water.

        On 30 June we saw a female COMMON GOLDENEYE at Rodman Slough and four RED-NECKED PHALAROPES at Long Tule Point. On 14 June we saw an immature BONAPARTE'S GULL at Redbud Park.

        Floyd Hayes
        Angwin, CA