Pigeons and Doves at home feeders

  • phawks@sbcglobal.net
    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 25, 2013
      At our home on Laurel Avenue in Ukiah we have had Eurasian Collared Doves for some time (usually 2, occasionally 3, at a time. A few days ago a small collared dove flew down to my feet as I was watering flowers on our deck. The bird has returned several times, today to our feeders, allowing me to get close, within 1 foot of it. It is a Ringed Turtle dove, obviously an escape.

      The other surprise is the presence of a Band-tailed Pigeon. There was 1 Saturday and Sunday. Then yesterday, 2 showed up. Today, Tuesday, there were 9, scrambling for space at my two feeders. The word gets around! Probably Pidgin-English! At one point, the little Ringed Turtle Dove forced its way into the cluster of Band-tailed Pigeons, gobbling seed like there was no tomorrow! The larger pigeons did not seem to intimidate the little dove.

      It is especially surprising to me to see the Band-tailed pigeons in the valley this time of year, as I am used to seeing them in the hills after the winter months.

      Paul Hawks