Northern Parula at Stanford Inn

  • richhubie
    Message 1 of 2 , Jun 16, 2013
      Sun June 16, 2013--Got a call from Jerry White around 5:00PM, asking if I needed a NORTHERN PARULA for my Mendocino List. I assured him that I did. Jerry and his wife were staying at the Stanford Inn and he had heard one and then found it in some trees. I was able to get down there in 10 minutes and the bird was still singing and I had several good looks. Pretty bird.

      Directions: Highway 1 to Comptche Ukiah Rd. After turning off of Highway 1 take a left onto S. Big River Rd. Park on Road. There is a gate to the garden area for the Stanford Inn about 50 yds on the right. Go through gate and turn towards Red House. There is what we think is a Douglas Fir in front of the house with moss/lichen hanging from it. The bird was seen in this tree and the bushes to the right.

      Heard at least 2 calls/songs. One was like an Orange-crowned Warbler and the other was a high scratchy buzzy call.

      Richard Hubacek
      Little River
    • Steve
      Message 2 of 2 , Jun 17, 2013
        Mon Jun 17, 2013 2:00 pm

        I was able to get over to Mendocino today. Immediately I heard, then saw and photographed the continuing Northern Parula. Thanks Jerry
        The pictures are at the link below. Steve Stump

        http://www.flickr.com/photos/stevestump/9071047065/in/photostream/