Grasshopper Sparrows - Hwy 1 & BLOY Chicks

    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 8, 2013
      8 June 2013 -- I finally heard 1 or 2 GRASSHOPPER SPARROWS singing across from
      Ocean Meadows, mm 70.32 on Hwy 1.  I was able to hear Part II of the buzzy song; it
      sounds like a Pacific Wren lost in a field.
      Further north, the 2+ GRSP just north of "Newport" are still singing at about mm 72.25.

      At Hardy Rock, mm 83.30, the two Black Oystercatcher chicks are still alive. The parents
      must feed them occasionally, but I have only witnessed one feeding (of the stronger
      Chick-1).  Egg-3 has been totally abandoned and is still sitting in the nest.  I think it is
      a threat to the chicks to leave it visible to predators...

      Karen Havlena
      North of Fort Bragg, MEN, California