Lawrence's Goldfinch

  • Robert Keiffer
    Message 1 of 12 , Jun 6, 2013
      5 June 2013 - Wednesday - At about 1:00PM I observed a lone male Lawrence's Goldfinch feeding on gravel or seeds, on the gravel road parking area adjacent to "Vassar Corner Experimental Area" here at the UC Hopland Research & Extension Center. This is one of the traditional spots for finding this species at HREC, but we have not observed any for over two years here. At this spot goldfinches and other birds are drawn to the granulated mineral salt that we put out in black tub dispensers for the sheep. We have added some new salt to the tub just for the goldfinches ...so this may be a good spot for anyone to check out, as it is right along University Road which is open to the public. I suspect more LAGO will be drawn to the spot. This pullout spot if exactly 2.0 miles from the intersection of Old River Road and University Road, and is on the right hand side of a sharp 90 degree road turn to the left. The "Vassar Corner Experimental" sign will be on the fence directly to the east. Watch the tops of the wire fences and listen for the "tinkling bell-like call notes". Good Birding. Bob Keiffer rjkeiffer@...<mailto:rjkeiffer@...>

      [Toolkit_Email_Sig_WIN]
      Robert J. Keiffer - Superintendent
      4070 University Rd.
      Hopland, CA 95449
      707-744-1424 ext. 112
      Office hours: Monday-Friday 8:00-5:00

    • Robert Keiffer
      Message 2 of 12 , Oct 1, 2013
        Tuesday - 1 October 2013 - While draining a large pressure tank near our irrigation pit pond at the UC Hopland Research & Extension Center, 3 American Goldfinches flew in to drink from the running water. I took note of this as AMGO are not all that common around Hopland (at least not in numbers like on the coast). Then, a few minutes later a lone goldfinch came in to drink, about 12 feet away from me, and I thought I noticed yellow in the wings. As I crept a bit closer for an open view ...sure enough, a male LAWRENCE'S GOLDFINCH was drinking away from a small puddle... and it appeared to be an adult in winter plumage with very gray back, nape, and crown, some black on forecrown and face but not as prominent as breeding males, and of course the yellow in the wings. I could not see well how much yellow was on the breast, but as it flew away my impression was that it was restricted to the upper breast ... not the entire breast to upper abdomen like breeding males. Good Birding. Bob Keiffer rjkeiffer@...<mailto:rjkeiffer@...>