White-throated Swifts

  • George Chaniot
    Message 1 of 4 , Jun 4, 2013
      Tue, 04 Jun 2013 -- This morning Park Steiner, Scott Harris, and I saw at
      least six WHITE-THROATED SWIFTS at the Pioneer Crossing Bridge on the Eel
      River north of Potter Valley where we saw them on the 11 May Peregrine
      Audubon field trip. Scott says that he has been seeing them regularly for
      about a month and that they have been nesting in the outer two drain holes
      beneath the north end of the span. Today they were making spectacular low
      passes over the bridge at close range. They tend to be absent for 10-15
      minutes and then appear suddenly like gangbusters.

      George Chaniot
      Potter Valley, MEN, CA
    • George Chaniot
      Message 2 of 4 , Mar 23, 2014
        Sat, 22 Mar 2014 -- This afternoon around 5 PM I went to the Pioneer Bridge
        over the Eel River N. of Potter Valley to look for the WHITE-THROATED SWIFTS
        reported by Steve Stump on March 20th. They were an easy find. At least 5
        were flying around the bridge the whole period I was there. One was
        fluttering around a drain hole on the underside of the bridge - as were
        Northern Rough-winged Swallows. Last year the swifts apparently nested here
        for the first time, and the prospects look good for this year.

        George Chaniot
        Potter Valley, MEN, CA

        From Route 20 take Potter Valley Road, and follow it until it turns into
        Eastside Road. At Hopper's Corner turn right (N) onto Eel River Road.
        Follow it "over the hill" to the Eel River drainage. Take the right fork at
        the top of the hill and follow it to the bridge.