Common Poorwill plus; Lake County

  • Jerry White
    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 4, 2013
      One of the most convenient and consistently successful spots to find Common Poorwill in Lake County is Highland Springs Road just past Ridge Road. This is not very far east from the Mendocino County line where Highland Springs Rd. becomes the Old Toll Road. At about the intersection with Ridge Road (a dirt unmarked? road) Highland Springs Road starts to ascend up into the chaparral after following along the Highland Creek drainage.
      This morning I first heard COMMON POORWILL at 4:05 AM from about 1/4 mile past that intersection. And then later at about 4:55 AM while standing at the intersection there were 2 Great Horned Owls, 2 Western Screech-Owls, and a Northern Pygmy-Owl as well as the continuing Common Poorwill all vocalizing. Earlier on the drive out I had seen a Barn Owl.

      Also recorded on the early morning trip were six species of mammals; the best being a probable California Kangaroo Rat. Jerry White