Trip to Mendocino National Forest

  • Ryan
    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 4, 2013
      02 June 2013-Sunday-
      Steve Stump and I spent all Sunday in the Mendocino National Forest. Upon meeting at 6am at Marina Drive, Lake Mendocino we observed two GREEN HERON and three BLACK-CROWN NIGHT-HERON near the boat launch. Pioneer bridge by Potter Valley yielded two YELLOW-BREASTED CHAT and one WHITE-THROATED SWIFT. Eel river road held MACGILLIVARY'S WARBLER just past Trout Creek Campground. We drove up Hull Mountain Road and had the usual suspects, MOUNTAIN CHICKADEE, GREEN TAILED TOWHEE, WESTERN TANAGERS. A DUSKY FLYCATCHER was photographed by Steve Stump at the top of Hull Mountain (still some snow patches). PURPLE MARTIN pair and Juv. BALD EAGLE in Windy Gap. NASHVILLE WARBLERS near Brushy Point. Spruce Grove was very enjoyable and yielded HAMMOND'S FLYCATCHERS, CASSIN'S FINCH, and RBNU. We continued along the M1 road and at the intersection with Forest Route 20N78 we observed three WHITE-HEADED WOODPECKERS, with a fourth WHWO up the 20N78 route. We had NASHVILLE WARBLERS, OCWA, MOUNTAIN QUAIL, WWPE, and OSFL throughout the trip. Along Estel Ridge we observed two GOLDEN EAGLE and one TOWNSEND'S SOLITAIRE 0.2 miles south of the "Leaving Mendocino National Forest" sign. Needless to say we were excited and Steve got some great photos of the solitaire. Coming home hwy 162 we observed two PEREGRINE FALCON, one in Covelo and the other on the sandstone cliffs. A very enjoyable trip and great weather.