Black Oystercatcher Drama - Hardy Rock

    Message 1 of 2 , Jun 3, 2013
      Mon, 3 June 2013 -- Yesterday afternoon, Jim and I counted two BLOY chicks on
      Hardy Rock, with the female still incubating Egg-3.

      When I arrived this morning, I could not find the chicks at first.  The adults were
      positioned in unusual spots on the rock, with Egg-3 exposed and probably getting
      cold.  This unmoving situation went on for 15-20+ minutes, at least.  The adult
      somewhat close to the nest stood up, and the younger Chick-2 emerged, still
      quite unsure of its abilities to walk.  A couple of minutes later, the other parent
      stood up.

      Nearly at the top of Hardy Rock, there was Chick-1.  I actually gasped!  It is a
      very steep and smooth rock face near the top.  The parent turned and left the
      chick to get back to the nest's ledge and other large rocks alone.  (I think the
      chick was small enough that the parent could have carried it in its bill).

      Had the chick followed the same route the parent took, it would have fallen off
      the rock to the ocean below.  Luckily, it walked a foot in a diagonal down the
      other direction, then tumbled and rolled down to the ledge, landing at the edge
      of the nest!

      Finally, one parent began to incubate Egg-3.  If it hatches at all, its life on earth
      could be very short.  Chick-1 is strong and quick to respond when food arrives.
      Wobbly Chick-2 misses out getting fed most of the time I am there to observe.
      We will see.....

      Karen Havlena
      North of Fort Bragg, MEN, Ca

    • Chet Ogan