Willits WWTP Least Bittern

  • Slauson, Keith M -FS
    Message 1 of 2 , May 29, 2013
      Greetings-

      On the rainy morning of the 27th of May I heard a 'singing' Least bittern at the Willits
      wastewater treatment plant. The bird 'sang' 5 times over the 45 minutes, from ~11-11:45
      am, that I listened and looked for it in the middle pond of the 3 new ponds planted with
      bull rush last year. The bird appeared to be in the center to center north end of the pond,
      but was not clearly visible (surprise) when I searched for it. I will return to try and get a
      visual and photos, but that won't be for ~10 days or so.

      Also present was a single Common moorhen and at least 6 Virginia rails which included one
      juvenile-confirming nesting at this site. There were at least 3 singing Grasshopper sparrows
      to the east of the ponds perched along the fence line.

      Note: be sure to check in at the office before heading back to the ponds if you head out there.

      Keith

      ******************************
      Keith M. Slauson, M.S.
      Research Ecologist
      Rocky Mountain Research Station/
      Pacific Southwest Research Station
      1700 Bayview Drive, Arcata, CA 95521
      Voice: 707-825-2931

      PhD Candidate
      Wildlife Biology Program
      University of Montana
      Missoula, MT 59801
      ******************************

    • Mike Curry
      Message 2 of 2 , Jun 2, 2013
        Sunday, June 2, 2013

        Dear fellow birders,

        I have been out of town all week, so, thinking "better late than never", I went out this morning to the Willits WW Treatment Plant to search for the Least Bittern. No Luck. I drove around all three ponds, stopping every couple of hundred feet. At each stop, I played a recording of a Least Bitter "cooing" call and listened for a couple minutes.

        On another note, among the usual suspects, I did see several Virginia Rails and a female Hooded Merganser leading a pair of young birds around. This seems pretty far south for breeding Hooded Merganser. I did not see the Common Gallinule (moorhen).

        If anyone wishes to search for the bittern, gallinule, or mergansers with me over the next couple of mornings, give me a call at 707 456 1032 (home) or 914 214 8623 (cell) and I will try to get you past the "guards".

        Good birding!
        Mike Curry
        Willits

        To: Mendobirds@yahoogroups.com