Gray Jays - Russian Gulch SP

    Message 1 of 1 , May 18 4:49 PM
      Sat, 18 May, 2013, From Rob Doster:

      For those wanting to see Gray Jays in Mendocino County, my wife and I found two adults foraging on orange berries (not sure of the plant species) along the Fern Canyon Trail in Russian Gulch State Park. The birds were about a mile from the parking lot. If you hike the trail looking for them, hike to the large rock outcrop where the trail bends to the left (roughly a 20 minute walk) then backtrack about a tenth of a mile. The birds were carrying mouthfuls of these berries, suggesting that they may be feeding young.

      Rob Doster
      Chico, CA