Possible Blue Jay

  • brdnrd59
    Message 1 of 3 , May 16 2:17 PM
      Two days ago at dusk, I heard what sounded like a BLJA across the street from 751 E. Hill Rd. in Willits. I wrote it off to exhaustion. At dawn this morning, well refreshed, I heard it again, initially just north of the Dripworks plant on Sanhedrin Circle and then at the original location. I've been unable to confirm it visually. There are mockingbirds in the area, but a NOMO in Willits mimicking a BLJA somehow seems even more unlikely than an actual BLJA. I hope others can get out there and look for it. Recorded calls might help. Traffic and construction noise are pretty bad, so very early morning would be best.

      Ken Burton
      Willits
    • Robert Keiffer

        Message 3 of 3 , May 19 9:55 PM
          This afternoon I managed to track down the source of the calls. It turned out to be a poorly-heard and somewhat atypical White-breasted Nuthatch. Well, mystery solved and lesson learned. I apologize for any inconvenience my report may have caused anyone.

          Ken Burton
          Willits