Red Crossbills (LAKE)

  • dhecomovich
    Message 1 of 1 , May 10, 2013
      This is an update on the continuing Red Crossbills since my April 23 posting of 1 male at my black-oil sunflower seed feeder on Hoberg Drive in Cobb. On the 26th I had 1 male and 1 female and on April 30 another male was added to the mix. Since then I've seen them for brief periods every day I've been home. On May 3 I had an immature with downy feathers which would indicate he has not been out of the nest long, and wonder if this would indicate breeding status in LAKE. Yesterday, May 9, I had a high count of the immature again as well as 5 adult males, 1 pale plus one very pale male which is either a pale adult or first-year male, 1 female and 1 immature for a total of 8 Crossbills. This morning I had at least 2 immatures and possibly 3. Any comments on the breeding patterns of Red Crossbills would be welcome.

      ~ Darlene Hecomovich
      Cobb - LAKE