Grasshopper Sparrow

  • Robert Keiffer
    Message 1 of 4 , May 7 9:56 AM
      6-7 May 2013 - There is a very viewable GRASSHOPPER SPARROW along University Road, east of Hopland, on the way to the UC Hopland Research & Extension Center. I have been finding a few Grasshopper Sparrows this year in other locations on the Center that do not have public access ...but this one is easy. To get here, from Highway 101, turn east onto Highway 175 towards Lakeport. Once you go through the small community of "Old Hopland" (no town sign saying this) you will get to a "Round-a-bout" on Highway 175. From the roundabout turn NORTH onto the "River Road" and go about 200 yards where you will see "University Road" on your right hand side (east). Turn onto University Road and continue until you see the big UC HREC blue sign (right) and old Niderost Barn (left). At his point you will have crossed a cattleguard on the road .... Continue 1.7 miles from the cattleguard and there will be a pullout on the right side with a bright orange ribbon marked "Grasshopper Sparrow". The male has been singing on the downhill (east) side, from either the fence below or the old dead tree snag.

      At this point also listen for N. Pygmy Owl calling to the northwest. Good birding. Bob Keiffer rjkeiffer@...<mailto:rjkeiffer@...>

      [Toolkit_Email_Sig_WIN]
      Robert J. Keiffer - Superintendent
      4070 University Rd.
      Hopland, CA 95449
      707-744-1424 ext. 112
      Office hours: Monday-Friday 8:00-5:00

    • Robert Keiffer
      Message 2 of 4 , May 20 8:23 AM
        19 May 2013 - Sunday - Coming back from the "chummy" pelagic trip, Ryan Keiffer and I stopped along the "Mountain House Road - Road 111", which is between Hopland and Highway 128, and found a GRASSHOPPER SPARROW that is easily viewed from the road. It flew from one side of the road and back, landing on the fences. It is about 150 feet south of milemarker 3.31. Other birds at the location includes singing Lark Sparrows, Western Kingbird, singing Western Meadowlarks, a flock of crows (unusual to be in a flock during this time of year?). Good birding. Bob Keiffer rjkeiffer@...<mailto:rjkeiffer@...>.