Purple Martins & Black Oystercatcher Nest with an Egg

    Message 1 of 1 , May 2, 2013
      Thu, 2 May, 2013 -- This morning I ventured up to Hardy Rock and Juan Creek north of
      Westport for my first day at monitoring a Black Oystercatcher nest, that has been occupied
      for several years.  The female was sitting on the rock nest with the male in sentry position.
      After a few minutes, the female stood and one egg was visible through the scope.  The
      male chased away a pair of Pigeon Guillemots that got too close.  Hardy Rock is at Hwy 1,
      mm 83.30.

      A short distance south, Juan Creek bridge had 18+ Purple Martins; the most I have seen
      at this location.

      Karen Havlena
      North of Fort Bragg, MEN, California