Dueling Pygmies

  • chaniot@pacific.net
    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 24, 2001
      Tue, 24 Apr 2001 -- This morning I birded "over the hill" from Potter
      Valley in the Eel River drainage near the Pioneer Crossing Bridge. The
      whole time I was there (8:50-10:40) I heard two N. PYGMY OWLS calling. They
      were on opposite sides of the Eel River about 1/2 mile upstream from the
      bridge. I'm certain I could have approached the one on the south side and
      seen it, were it not for the thicket of poison oak with buds and tiny
      leaves.
      About 200 m upstream from the bridge I was able to pish up a female
      MACGILLIVRAY'S WARBLER from the ceanothus and poison oak. This pushes the
      earliest spring date back two days. I heard PURPLE MARTINS in the
      distance, but I didn't see any coming to the drain holes in the bridge
      yet.
      Back in Potter Valley the season's first YELLOW-BREASTED CHAT was
      singing in the Russian River riparian by the high school football field.,
      and a LEWIS'S WOODPECKER was at the end of Burris Lane.

      Check out the spring arrivals database at
      http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Mendobirds/database?method=reportRows&tbl=1&so
      rtBy=3
      The table is filling in as migrants return, but there are a few more
      species to arrive. Any subscriber can add to or edit the records.

      Eel River near Pioneer Crossing Bridge, 24 Apr 2001
      ======================================
      Common Merganser
      Turkey Vulture
      Red-tailed Hawk