Solitary Sandpiper Lake County

  • Jerry White
    Message 1 of 3 , Apr 17, 2013
      The SOLITARY SANDPIPER found yesterday by Karen and Jim Havlena on Scotts Valley Road was seen this morning around 9:30 AM. The bird was first found at the north end of the ponds but then flew a short distance south where it was visible on the far side (west side) of the ponds from the road at milepost 5.80.
      Jerry White

    • George Chaniot
      Message 2 of 3 , Apr 20, 2013
        Sat, 20 Apr 2013 -- I have not been able to look for the Solitary Sandpiper
        in Lake County since it was discovered on Tuesday, but today I was in the
        area and decided to give it a check, not expecting much, but I was surprised
        to find the SOLITARY SANDPIPER at the Scotts Valley Road ponds. It was on
        the west side of the ponds, hidden most of the time behind some cattails and
        grasses, and I only saw it briefly several times.
        These ponds are on the west side of Scotts Valley Road about 5 1/2
        miles south of Route 20.

        George Chaniot
        Potter Valley, MEN, CA
        but "I can see Lake County from my house."
      • Steve Stump
        Message 3 of 3 , Apr 21, 2013
          Sun, 21 Apr 2013 I had not been successful in 3 attempts at the Solitary Sandpiper but it continued this am along with a Wilson's Snipe. I have pics to identify the bird (you can see yellow legs, yellow on bill, white eye ring etc. but they were long shots. The bird was located on the west bank just behind the power pole in the middle of the pond at approx. 0730.

          Steve Stump