Spring Migration

  • birdmanofthewoods4
    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 14, 2013
      Yes, as Ron says the Great Loon Migration is well underway. My optics were not as acute as Ron's so I can only say there were many loon sp. going north. Using the patented LCM (Loon Counting Method) while eating peanuts and listening to baseball on the radio, I tabulated 25 loons (aproximate) a minute going by (LPM or loons per minute). This gives a rate of nearly 1500 LPH or Loons Per Hour.

      Also noted were a number of BRANDT'S CORMORANTS displaying on Bird Island off the Mendocino Headlands in Mendocino Headlands State Park. Actual nest building is rudimentary right now and mostly the males are just displaying. I've noticed that they seem to build "pseudo-nests" which are just small bunches of grass but will be abandoned later when things get "serious" (i.e. after the sex gets warmed up) and real nest building starts. Right now there is just a lot of posturing and what fun it is to watch.

      The Loon Ranger