Short -Eared Owl

  • daveabengston <algott@saber.net>
    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 3, 2003
      Hi All: On Tuesday, Feb. 18th, I was out at Lake Mendocino to ck.
      out the scaups and the mergansers at the south end. A
      short-eared owl flew out of the rocks on the east side of the dam,
      went about 60 yards north, and landed back in the rocks. The
      time was about 5:45 pm (this was why I never made it to the
      mtg). It was very distinctive in shape, size, and flight. Bob Keiffer
      asked me if it flew like a moth. The answer is yes. But, what it
      really made me think of was how a northern harrier would fly if it
      was drunk. I know that this is unexpected terrain. It seems like
      it should have been on the western slope where the grass is. I
      surmise that it was catching some sort of small rodents. I have
      been out four more times since, looking for it again with no luck.
      It could have just been passing through.

      Last night at L. Mendo, there were eleven great blue herons on
      the island. Vishnu had told me he spotted eight a couple of days
      before. They are still there.

      BTW - I have two breedin pairs of w b nuthatches at my house
      now. One on the east side and one of the west side, both using
      boxes in large oaks.

      Good birding.

      Dave