MCAS General Program in Gualala April 15th

  • Richard Kuehn
    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 1 6:50 PM
      Greetings Birders and Bird Enthusiasts!

      I hope everyone is enjoying our spring seabird migration, which is now WELL
      underway! I wanted to remind you the Mendocino Coast Audubon Society will
      again be meeting at the Gualala Arts Center on April 15, 2013 for their
      annual ‘south coast’ General Program.

      This year’s program will be of special interest to those who attempt to
      follow the ongoing changes in avian phylogeny as DNA enhances and alters the
      placement of species by the pioneering ornithologists, who relied upon
      physical appearance, habitat and activity. David Mindell, PhD, will be
      presenting a talk on "Raptor Conservation and the Tree of Life". He’ll
      discuss his recent research with colleagues on the conservation and
      phylogeny of birds in the families’ Accipitridae and Falconidae, including
      studies of the Oriental White-backed Vulture, Hook-billed Kite, and
      Gyrfalcon.

      cid:image002.jpg@01CE2D38.442D96E0

      Light morph, Gyrfalcon

      He will also place raptor phylogeny into the context of the centuries-long
      effort to circumscribe Earth's biological diversity and outline why this
      effort matters to society.

      David P. Mindell is currently a Visiting Professor at the University of
      California, San Francisco. Prior to this, David served as Dean of Science
      and Harry & Diana Hind Chair at the California Academy of Sciences, and
      Professor of Ecology & Evolutionary Biology and Director of the Museum of
      Zoology at the University of Michigan in Ann Arbor. He conducts research on
      avian molecular systematics and on conservation biology of birds of prey.
      His other interests include comparative genomics and public understanding of
      this science. He has published over 120 scientific articles and has received
      research funding from the National Science Foundation, the Sloan Foundation
      and The Peregrine Fund. He has written a popular science book entitled _The
      Evolving World: Evolution in Everyday Life_, which won the 2007 Independent
      Publisher Gold Medal award for Best Book in the science category.

      While this program will be different than some of the travelogues we’ve
      enjoyed at the GAC, I’ve heard David speak in Belize and believe most of you
      will find his topic fascinating.

      The meeting will begin at 7 p.m. and David’s talk ~7:30.

      Good Birding and I hope to see many of you there,

      Rich

      Richard Kuehn

      WindandSea at The Sea Ranch

      N 38°45'02" W 123° 31'27"