RE: [Mendobirds] Northern Migration on the Coast

  • Ron LeValley
    Message 1 of 5 , Mar 25 8:23 AM
      Nice sightings. Those were likely Aleutian Cackling Geese migrating by. They
      are going by in good numbers now. Occasionally there will be a flock of
      Black Brant going by as well. And yes, the Pacific Loon migration is just
      starting. In about two weeks we'll get inundated with hundreds flying by
      offshore. One of the cool migration spectacles.

      Cheers,

      Ron LeValley, Little River

      Message 2 of 5 , Mar 25 8:25 AM
        We saw long streams of Brant going by yesterdayŠ200+ at a time.
        Diane Hichwa

        Email: dhichwa@...

        Telephone: 707-785-1922 (Sea Ranch)
        707-483-3130 (cell)
        More Tail Wagging!!! Less Barking!!
        Millie 2007

        From: Ron LeValley <ron@...>
        Date: Mon, 25 Mar 2013 08:23:30 -0700
        To: 'birdmanofthewoods4' <birdmanofthewoods4@...>,
        <Mendobirds@yahoogroups.com>
        Subject: RE: [Mendobirds] Northern Migration on the Coast

        From: Mendobirds@yahoogroups.com <mailto:Mendobirds%40yahoogroups.com>
        I was down on the Mendocino Headlands this morning and the big mirgration is
        heating up. Lots of whales, but more interesting to the birder was the
        absolutely huge, tight flock of Canada geese (300 - 350)going over
        (magificent!)and one fairly small flock of loons going by low over the
        water. Looked like Pacific loons, but I wouldn't swear to it. Nothing yet on
        Bird Island except the palegic cormmorants setting up on the cliffs.

      • Rick & Jeanne Jackson
        Message 3 of 5 , Mar 25 9:41 AM
          Yes, I received a nice photo of Brant passing by Gualala yesterday, March 25th. Also, Ospreys are back. The first sighting was Friday, March 22nd – it must be spring! Rick and I have a nest in our view. Most of it blew down in the December storms. An Osprey has been sitting on it and seemingly checking out the damage. I saw it again there this morning.
          Jeanne Jackson, Anchor Bay
          We saw long streams of Brant going by yesterdayŠ200+ at a time.
          Diane Hichwa

          Email: mailto:dhichwa%40earthlink.net

          Message 4 of 5 , Mar 25 9:47 AM
            We saw out first Osprey of the season about two weeks ago on Caspar
            point. Sitting on a rock promentory where they like to hang out.