Northern Migration on the Coast

  • birdmanofthewoods4
    Message 1 of 5 , Mar 24, 2013
      I was down on the Mendocino Headlands this morning and the big mirgration is heating up. Lots of whales, but more interesting to the birder was the absolutely huge, tight flock of Canada geese (300 - 350)going over (magificent!)and one fairly small flock of loons going by low over the water. Looked like Pacific loons, but I wouldn't swear to it. Nothing yet on Bird Island except the palegic cormmorants setting up on the cliffs.
    • Ron LeValley
      Message 2 of 5 , Mar 25, 2013
        Nice sightings. Those were likely Aleutian Cackling Geese migrating by. They
        are going by in good numbers now. Occasionally there will be a flock of
        Black Brant going by as well. And yes, the Pacific Loon migration is just
        starting. In about two weeks we'll get inundated with hundreds flying by
        offshore. One of the cool migration spectacles.

        Cheers,

        Ron LeValley, Little River

        Message 3 of 5 , Mar 25, 2013
          We saw long streams of Brant going by yesterdayŠ200+ at a time.
          Diane Hichwa

          Email: dhichwa@...

          Telephone: 707-785-1922 (Sea Ranch)
          707-483-3130 (cell)
          More Tail Wagging!!! Less Barking!!
          Millie 2007

          From: Ron LeValley <ron@...>
          Date: Mon, 25 Mar 2013 08:23:30 -0700
          To: 'birdmanofthewoods4' <birdmanofthewoods4@...>,
          <Mendobirds@yahoogroups.com>
          Subject: RE: [Mendobirds] Northern Migration on the Coast

          From: Mendobirds@yahoogroups.com <mailto:Mendobirds%40yahoogroups.com>
          I was down on the Mendocino Headlands this morning and the big mirgration is
          heating up. Lots of whales, but more interesting to the birder was the
          absolutely huge, tight flock of Canada geese (300 - 350)going over
          (magificent!)and one fairly small flock of loons going by low over the
          water. Looked like Pacific loons, but I wouldn't swear to it. Nothing yet on
          Bird Island except the palegic cormmorants setting up on the cliffs.

        • Rick & Jeanne Jackson
          Message 4 of 5 , Mar 25, 2013
            Yes, I received a nice photo of Brant passing by Gualala yesterday, March 25th. Also, Ospreys are back. The first sighting was Friday, March 22nd – it must be spring! Rick and I have a nest in our view. Most of it blew down in the December storms. An Osprey has been sitting on it and seemingly checking out the damage. I saw it again there this morning.
            Jeanne Jackson, Anchor Bay
            We saw long streams of Brant going by yesterdayŠ200+ at a time.
            Diane Hichwa

            Email: mailto:dhichwa%40earthlink.net

            Message 5 of 5 , Mar 25, 2013
              We saw out first Osprey of the season about two weeks ago on Caspar
              point. Sitting on a rock promentory where they like to hang out.