White-tailed kite

  • Kate Marianchild
    Message 1 of 2 , Mar 19, 2013
      I have one sitting on a nest here at Round Mountain. It's the first nest I've seen that isn't on top of a mistletoe clump. It's extremely flimsy��I can see through it from underneath. Maybe a young, inexperienced pair, though Birder's Handbook says it's not uncommon for the nests to be flimsy. She sits on the nest and makes that weak osprey-like chirp.

      Marisela and I heard that chirp last week along the Willits By-Pass route, near Dripworks, and we also saw a kite flying. Not sure if the chirp was from the flying bird or another one. But we didn't realize that the chirp could possibly lead us to a bird sitting on eggs. I went back yesterday late in the day and didn't hear it. If anyone else wants to try, I'll be happy to give you directions. What we're looking for is any bird of any species sitting on eggs.

      Kate

      On Mar 19, 2013, at 10:10 AM, jarlyus wrote:

      > I had a single White-tailed Kite perched atop an oak tree this weekend in southeast Potter Valley.
      > This reminds me of a time when there were one or more pairs perching and hovering around and over my pasture on a regular basis.
      >
      > Jim Armstrong

      Kate Marianchild
      Nature Writer
      katem@...

      Currently writing Secrets of the Oak Woodlands,
      a book full of little-known information about the plants
      and animals that live among California's oaks. My goal
      is to motivate Californians to preserve our native oaks
      and the myriad species that live in association with them.
      Oak habitats collectively support more diversity of life
      than any other terrestrial ecosystems in California. To be
      published by Heyday in spring of 2014.