Sooty Grouse

  • birdmanofthewoods4
    Message 1 of 7 , Mar 16, 2013
      Just to try and clarify things (or make them more confusing), I learned these birds as the Spruce Grouse. The Sooty Grouse (Dendragapus fuligenosus)has been split off from the Dusky Grouse (Dendragapus obscurus). The two species used to be lumped together and known as the Blue Grouse.
    • Robert Keiffer
      Message 2 of 7 , Mar 23, 2016
        24 March 2016 - This morning at 7:10AM (sunrise) Chuck Vaughn & I heard one, and maybe two, Sooty Grouse up Low Gap Road west of Ukiah.   The location was 0.8 miles past (west) of the second cattleguard crossing, which is totally filled in with dirt and at the top of the saddle ridge.   This is the same location where Matthew Matthiessen heard Sooty Grouse in 2003, and at least two were there in 2004 (Chuck Vaughn 3/31/2004).   The exact location is at a sweeping turn to the left (as you are heading up the road) ... park and listen below the road (downhill about 200').   We did not spot the bird, but I suspect it was high up in the biggest Douglas fir tree.  The location is about 0.1 mile past (going up) a long sloping meadow area on your right-hand side. Chuck may have heard a second bird at about 0.75 miles up from the cattleguard (a short ways SE of the first bird) ...also below the road (to the north).

        There is a special effort taking place this year to find and document Sooty Grouse "hooting" leks and other locations in Mendocino, Lake and Sonoma counties .... so please make a special effort to find and post such locations.  You can contact me directly if you don't want to post the location (such as inaccessible private properties)

        Other birds for the day were 3 to 5 Northern pygmy owls, a couple Western screech owls, C-b chickadees, hairy woodpecker, downy woodpeckers, acorn woodpeckers, pileated woodpecker, brown creeper, varied thrush, American robins, Western scrub jays, Steller's jays, d-e juncos.  Good birding.    Keiffer  Hopland  rjkeiffer@...
      • George Gibbs
        Message 3 of 7 , Apr 26 1:49 PM
          26 April 2016 10:45 am

          I drove out to look for the Sooty Grouse today and heard booming calls immediately upon stepping out of the car.  There was one bird a Fir tree (likely the same one Bob Keiffer described last month, below) and there was a 2nd bird a bit further down the drainage.

          This spot was really birdy, with several Black-headed Grosbeaks, Cassin’s Vireos, Western Tanagers, Black-throated Gray Warblers, Orange-crowned Warblers, and at least one each of Red-breasted Nuthatch, Ruby-crowned Kinglet and Mountain Quail calling.  See Bob’s directions in his earlier post, quoted below.

          Actually, all of Low Gap Rd. was pretty birdy.  Lower on the road around MM 18.52 was a singing Rufous-crowned Sparrow near some Chipping Sparrows (at the traditional spot if I remember Chuck Vaughn’s description correctly).

          Good Birding,

          George Gibbs
          Ukiah

          Message 4 of 7 , Mar 29
            28 March 2017 - Two male Sooty Grouse continue to vocalize "courtship hoots" on Low Gap Road, west of Ukiah, in locations described earlier by Ryan Keiffer and Chuck Vaughn (both last week).   The first one could visually be seen from Low Gap Road, from a point about 80 feet west of the trashed vehicle which is on the side of the road.   The bird was about 200 yards below the road high in a Black Oak tree which is just beginning to bud out ... the canopy still rather open (spotting scope is helpful).   It takes some real searching to find and see this bird ... I was probably just lucky.   These birds will shift hooting trees and platforms, so it is not a sure thing that it will be back in the same exact location.

            The second bird as a bit further on Low Gap Road as per earlier descriptions, and was calling from about 200 to 300 yards below the road.  One has to be standing in just the right spot on the road to hear the call.   I tied an old aluminum pull top with a short piece of rope on a small branch just above the right hand side of the road ... right at the spot where I could hear the bird the clearest.   Exact locations of these two birds can be found on my eBird entry.

            Other birds observed along Low Gap Road and the grouse location included Steller's Jay, California Scrub Jay, Pileated Woodpecker, Pacific-slope Flycatcher, Hutton's Vireo, Brown Creeper (nest), and Dark-eyed junco.   Surprisingly no Mountain Quail were seen or heard.
            Good birding.   Bob Keiffer   rjkeiffer@...      Hopland  MEN  CA