re: Sooty Grouse

  • Marigold Klein
    Message 1 of 4 , Mar 16 6:26 PM
      Two places I've seen or heard sooty grouse are :
        Mill Creek Park...
      saw one near the road once... haven't heard them calling there though.
        And
      the new addition to Montgomery Woods.  Heard the booming about this time of
      year, two years ago, in the area where it opens up into grassland.  It was
      coming from a wooded hill to the right of the trail.
        The new addition is
      about a mile east of the old grove, just a bit after crossing (Pruit?) creek.
      There's an easy to miss right turn into a little parking area and a sign in
      there telling about it being public land.  The trail goes up along the creek,
      then across (not too hard to jump to logs) and winds up to a split in the
      trail.   Go right to another creek crossing (best to wade this one), and after a
      bit the trail starts opening up to grassland.  That's the area.  Beautiful hike
      too.
      You do have to go past one old no longer current no trespassing sign
      that no one has bothered to go through the poison oak to remove, but as long as
      you realize that you're on public land, not a problem.  This new addition to the
      park goes all the way to Leonard Lake, but if you go that far you will be on
      private land.  You might meet horses out in the grassland but they are grazing
      the public land.

    • birdmanofthewoods4
      Message 2 of 4 , Mar 16 10:09 PM
        Just to try and clarify things (or make them more confusing), I learned these birds as the Spruce Grouse. The Sooty Grouse (Dendragapus fuligenosus)has been split off from the Dusky Grouse (Dendragapus obscurus). The two species used to be lumped together and known as the Blue Grouse.